Your body and mind is what keeps you going. Why not return the favour with some good old TLC? In the hustle and bustle of life these days, we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves. With aching muscles and unexpected mood-swings to show for this, I decided to s-l-o-w things down and came up with a list of self-care habits we all should apply in our daily routines.
If you want to boost your self-confidence, self-esteem, positivity, and manage stress, try these around-the-clock self-care habits.
Good morning sunshine!
- Kill the snooze-button. Those extra 10 minutes – dreamy as they may seem – actually just confuse your body’s internal alarm and make you feel more tired throughout the day!
- Take 5 minutes to meditate before switching on the lights. The first thing you do when you wake up, has the power to set your mood for the entire day.
- Put some thought into your OOTD. Trust me, nothing boosts your confidence like looking in the mirror and thinking “Yaasss QUEEN!”.
- Don’t skip breakfast, even a small one goes a long way. This way, you keep those cravings at bay for longer. Winning!
- Wear a high SPF. Seriously, people, this is not negotiable.
Head to work:
- Listen to an episode of your favourite podcast on your way to work and watch the road-rage melt away instantly.
- Declutter your workspace.
- Burn your favourite scented candle. Different scents can affect you in different ways. Aromatherapy is amazing.
- Have a hot cup of tea. Or coffee, whichever floats your boat. While you’re at it, splurge that extra R5 for a plant-based milk.
- Avoid going on Facebook for 2 hours. A daily dose of digital detox can help you focus better, and open up some time to spend on yourself and loved ones.
Try to squeeze these into your lunch break:
- Get outside in the sun for 10 minutes. Vitamin D might just be your new best friend. See, this is why you need that high SPF.
- Watch a funny video on YouTube. Who let the endorphins out? You did. If you treat yourself to a good laugh from time to time.
- Chew your food slowly and savour every bite. I don’t know about you, but food really has the power to turn my mood around.
Okay, back to work:
- Say “no” to someone and “YES” to yourself. Personally, this is something I have struggled with since forever. But it turns out that it’s okay to be selfish at least once a day.
- Do 5 minutes of deep breathing. You might feel like an idiot for a brief second, but at least you’ll be a relaxed idiot.
You are approaching day’s end, keep going!
- Listen to your favourite playlist on your way home.
- Sweat it out in the gym. Even 15 minutes will do the trick.
- Prepare a hearty (but healthy) home-cooked meal. Whether it’s dinner for one or two, skip the take-aways and get creative in the kitchen.
- Have a glass of your favourite wine, because no woman can cook without it (sometimes we even add it to the food).
- Watch an episode of your favourite Netflix show.
- Treat yo’self with a face mask, a deep-conditioning hair treatment, or a manicure.
- Call someone you love instead of scrolling through the Kardashians’ Instagrams for hours.
- Reflect on your accomplishments for the day. I didn’t yell at someone today, can I get a high five?
- Go to bed early. Trust me, you’ll thank me for this in the morning.
Of course, self-care looks different for everyone. Tell us more about your feel-good habits in the comment section below. And keep going with that self-love!